Neutral colors may be classic and flattering and bright and bold hues, well, bright and bold—but if you ask me, there’s no better way to make a serious style statement than with a few well-placed metallic pieces. Whether you favor gold, silver, bronze or a more colorful metallic (or a mix of all of the above!), there’s just something about shiny, shimmering clothes and accessories that feels so irresistibly rock ‘n’ roll. Think about it: it takes a pretty gutsy girl to sport a silver blazer or gilded skinny jeans! When it comes to metallic fashion, wallflowers need not apply.
That said, there are dozens of different ways to approach this eye-catching trend. Those looking to (literally) dip just a toe into the world of metallics can take shiny boots or pumps for a spin; more daring types might prefer a sequined pencil skirt, iridescent trench coat or mirrored moto jacket. Ready to shine?
1. Instead of reaching for the same khaki trench coat for women again, why not go bold in a metallic version of the timeless topper?
2. Soften an architectural silver leather skirt by pairing it with sweet pastels.
3. In soft silver, a pantsuit shatters all those corporate connotations. (The graphic tee and colorful shades help, too.)
4. Gold and white make for an incredibly regal combo.
5. Moto jacket for women are eternally cool—especially when cast in chrome. To really make the piece pop, add it to an otherwise all-black outfit.
6. Talk about textural contrast! These foil-like pants—seemingly intimidating at first—pair perfectly with a fluffy cropped sweater.
7. For a playful mod look, opt for structural metallic accessories while sticking to a clean, crisp black-and-white palette elsewhere.
8. Why not try swapping your favorite skinny jeans for a cool gilded pair? They’re surprisingly versatile, and will work with everything from tailored blazers to Penny Lane-worthy shearling coats.
9. Nervous about going overboard with your metallics? Look for shimmery pieces that are slightly more subtle, like this muted silver tweed jacket and striped minidress.
10. Sequins pants + women fur coats —fashion combinations don’t come chicer than this, folks.